The Pentagon confirmed that there was a single suicide bomber in the Kabul bombing that left more than 100 dead

Hank Taylor Afghanistan Pentagon
Last updated:

General Hank Taylor, deputy director of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, noted that the blast occurred at Abbey Gate, where hundreds of Afghans and American soldiers were crowding: “There was no second explosion in or near the Baron Hotel,” he said.

The Pentagon said on Friday that there was a single explosion outside the Kabul airport, and not two as reported on Thursday, after the attack that claimed the lives of dozens of people, including 13 US soldiers.

The Deputy Director of Logistics for the US General Staff, General Hank Taylor, said at a press conference that he finally did not believe there would be a second explosion on Thursday “in or near” the Hotel Baron, near the airport.

Therefore, there was only one suicide bomber” Said Taylor, adding that they are still not sure how this misinformation was made, but that it possibly occurred in the midst of” confusion during dynamic events.”View of a column of smoke at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on August 26, 2021 (EFE / Akhter Gulfam)

View of a column of smoke at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on August 26, 2021 (EFE / Akhter Gulfam)

On Thursday, the head of the US Central Command (CENTCOM), General Kenneth McKenzie, reported shortly after the attack that there had been two explosions carried out by two suicide bombers of the Islamic State (ISIS) terrorist group with explosives vests.

According to McKenzie, a blast took place at one of the Kabul airport entrances, the so-called Abbey Gate, and the other near the Baron Hotel. McKenzie noted that the blasts were followed by an armed attack by ISIS members in the area.

The ISIS branch in Afghanistan has claimed responsibility for Thursday’s attack.

According to an official Afghan source, at least 100 people were killed and another 150 wounded in the attack on Thursday.Joe Biden made a minute of silence for the victims (REUTERS / Jonathan Ernst) Joe Biden made a minute of silence for the victims (REUTERS / Jonathan Ernst)

Joe Biden said the US will respond “with force” to the attack

US President Joe Biden vowed Thursday to “go after” the perpetrators of the suicide bombings in Kabul. “For those who carried out this attack, as well as for anyone who wishes America harm, know this: we will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt them down and make them pay,” he said.

The United States will respond “with force and precision,” he said, after the terrorist group ISIS-K claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.

In a solemn address to the nation from the White HouseBiden called the downed US military “heroes” and said the Kabul evacuation mission will continue until next Tuesday when the final withdrawal of US military troops is expected.

We will not be deterred by terrorists. We will not allow them to stop our mission. We will continue the evacuation”, assured the Democratic president.

Biden also reconfirmed that he will not move that August 31 deadline to complete the exit from Afghanistan after two decades of war.“ We will not be deterred by terrorists. We will not allow them to stop our mission. We will continue the evacuation, ”Biden said in a televised address.